Accessibility advocate Charlotte Little has combined her advocacy for accessible cinema experiences with her passion for curation and programming to develop a brand new pop-up cinema: Caption This Cinema (CTC).
Caption This Cinema was created with access at its core, striving to champion diverse stories and disabled audiences. To celebrate the launch of CTC, there will be a virtual screening of Rodney Evans’s beautiful, profound documentary about art and sight loss – Vision Portraits (2019).
Vision Portraits is a deeply personal film by Rodney Evans, a filmmaker who explores what it means to have vision while confronting his own sight loss. He connects with three visually impaired artists, a dancer, a writer, and a photographer, and turns to them for guidance and insight.
Vision Portraits will be available to watch in the UK through the screening platform Eventive from Wednesday 17th to Friday 19th November.
- The film will have English captions available as well as English audio description.
- Tickets will be on a pay-what-you-can sliding scale from £0, £2, £4, £6, £8.
- There will be a live discussion over Zoom with guest speakers Theresa Heath and Tara Brown.
- The screening will take place on Friday 19th November and will be live-streamed to Eventive.
- The live discussion will have live captioning, BSL interpretation, and the host and guest speakers will provide visual descriptions of themselves to make the event more accessible for partially sighted audiences.
Tickets are on sale now
Follow Caption This Cinema on Facebook and Twitter.
If your venue would be interested in hosting a Caption This Cinema event in the future, you can reach Charlotte Little by emailing email@example.com or visit her website captaincaptions.com. She is also on Twitter at @ALittleOutlook
CINEMA FOR ALL has supported the development of Caption This Cinema and the inaugural screening of Vision Portraits through their Access Launchpad scheme.
MATCHBOX CINE has provided ongoing guidance, technical support, and captioning support for Caption This Cinema.